We have discussed the lives of some artists from the Renaissance period. It is summary time: what do we know about the Renaissance?
Raphael: The School of Athens
1. The French word itself means "rebirth".
2. For a definition, we turned to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary:
"the transitional movement in Europe between medieval and modern times beginning in the 14th century in Italy, lasting into the 17th century, and marked by a humanistic revival of classical influence expressed in a flowering of the arts and literature and by the beginnings of modern science"
3. The Renaissance started in Florence, Italy in the 14th century
4. Artists depended on wealthy patrons.
5. The rules of linear perspective were developed by Philippo Brunelleschi.
6. We usually distinguish three main periods: Early Renaissance, High Renaissance and Late/Northern Renaissance.
7. Famous artists: Lorenzo Ghiberti, Filippo Brunelleschi, Donatello, Sandro Botticelli (Early); Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo Buonarroti, Raffaello Santi /Raphael/, Bramante, Giorgione, Titian, Coreggio (High); Jan Van Eyck, Albrecht Durer, Hans Holbein Pieter Bruegel (Late/Northern)